In the past 2 weeks, 3 particular members celebrated getting one year older (and literally, just one year for one of them). Happy birthday to GG, Jenny, and Isaac! Yes, all 3 in one family have birthdays from mid to the end of October. (This was not planned.)
I snagged a few pictures from their blog, since I (sniff) won't be able to head out there in person in the near future :
The daddy and son.
The mommy and son.
Alas, I won't be able to make it this weekend for Isaac's one year old birthday bash. This occasion, called Tol, carries quite a bit of significance in Korean culture (and has the food to celebrate with as well!). One of the main events is the Toljabee, in which the child's future is determined by which object he or she is attracted to from a pile set before him or her. On the list of meanings that I found online :
- bow and arrow: the child will become a warrior
- needle and thread: the child will live long
- jujube: the child will have many descendants
- book, pencil, or related items: the child will become a successful scholar
- rice or rice cake (or money): the child will become rich
- ruler, needle, scissors: the child will be talented with his/her hands
- knife: the child will be a good cook
In any rate, we'll hear more on Saturday! Hopefully I'll make it out there soon...