Yesterday we had training for graduate resident tutors, in which we learned all about the nuances of what incoming freshmen will go through as they navigate their first year of MIT. I already met one of my fresh(wo)men, and the other will be moving in this coming weekend. To get into their psyche, one of the administrators in charge of the 'First Year Experience' sent us "The Mindset List" for the class of 2015 ... which instantly made me feel old. Some items aren't very significant to me, but the ones of note include:
- Ferris Bueller and Sloane Peterson could be their parents.
- Amazon has never been just a river in South America.
- Life has always been like a box of chocolates.
- They’ve often broken up with their significant others via texting, Facebook, or MySpace.
- Frasier, Sam, Woody and Rebecca have never Cheerfully frequented a bar in Boston during primetime.
- “PC” has come to mean Personal Computer, not Political Correctness.